Interlude: New Year, Old Fears

Monday, April 21, 2014



As 2013 closed I looked back at all I had accomplished since I began themusicdiary.com. How the year had lead me to attend several music events across the country and meet some great people along the way. How I worked at a record label and had an opportunity to honestly say I helped contribute to the success of music artist. I also started a annual conference for music bloggers and started to build my own personal brand. With all this said I still wanted more and needed more. My story wasn't close to over and by mid December the record label would be on a hiatus, dissolving my only source of income. That meant I would be back on the job search. My biggest worry was what if I couldn't find a job in the entertainment field and although I planned on starting my own business I wouldn't see any revenue any time soon. You all heard of the phrase "it takes money to make money", right?

At that moment I went into panic mode, I applied for different jobs, some I loved and others I didn't love as much. I wondered what my readers would think; would they think I deserted the dream for a paycheck? I spoke to several of my friends and family about the dilemma, and I was convinced that I would do anything to live out my dreams. I started to apply for at least one job a day. Early January I began to get call backs for interviews the momentum grew and week after week I had an interview but no solid job. Then it happened, I received an email from one of the largest media companies in the world, Viacom. They asked me to come in the following week for an interview and to bring two references. I was so excited I could barely breathe. If someone had asked 19 year old Victoria which company she wanted to work for it would be Viacom and now I'd have my opportunity to prove myself. After a short paralysis I entered in the time I was available and confirmed an interview for the following Tuesday.

When it rains it pours. Early Monday morning, MLK day and the day before my big interview I received an email from a different company, an online publication. They wanted to conduct a phone interview the same day. The phone call came after I had filled out their short questionnaire which included my salary requirements. Being that it was MLK Day and early in the morning, I wasn't ready for the call but I knew it was better to speak to them sooner than later. I got on the phone and the owner started to sell me about his company. This was completely unexpected; he began to speak about what they could offer me and if I would be willing to negotiate my salary for 20,000 less then what I listed as my salary requirement. To me money isn't everything, it's more about the end goal, but I also cant work for peanuts ( I live in NY and it's expensive). I said I was willing to negotiate just to keep my options opened and scheduled an in person interview for Wednesday.

After the interview at Viacom I was almost certain I had the job. The young lady who interviewed me was pleasant and said I was the front runner. I left their 42nd street office beaming, already planning what I would wear my first day. But what about the other job you ask? Well mama ain't raise no fool. I'd still go on the interview and ace it. That Friday, the publication called to offer me the position, I ignorantly asked for some time because I was weighing my options. The following Tuesday Viacom emailed me the news that they would be going with another candidate. So I did the only "smart thing" and ran back to the online publication and accepted the position, but now they no longer wanted to hire me either.

Although this may not be the sweet melody you want to hear, it is real. I'm still searching for the right position and in the meantime I'm building my brand and making way for new opportunities. Lessons learned???? Play your hand tight don't let everyone know it all, negotiate like a boss, and  know your value. Follow your heart and believe in yourself and let God do the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment