Sound Interviews: Chill, Trumental Co-Founder / Music Producer

Thursday, May 8, 2014


Trumental.com Co-Founder and Music Producer, Chill shares the concept behind the music site and what lead him to creating beats.

What inspired you and the team at TruMental.com  to create the website?
Our widely shared youthful aspirations to pursue artistic expression led my partners and me through an array of experiences. Throughout this time, we gradually became enlightened to the colossal barriers to entry into such an oversaturated industry as entertainment.  As we grew older, struggled to become wiser and more successful, we desired to use what we've learned to ease the path for others.  Many know they have what it takes but lack resources, while others desire to explore their artistic possibilities without having to commit to significant investment.  We knew that we could help in some meaningful way and out of that came TruMental.com.

How did you start your career in music?
Since high school, I aspired to be a widely respected lyricist and did actually make significant headway.  I started making mixtapes and handing them out, performing everywhere and anywhere, networking, and so on, eventually earning spots opening for stars, headlining on regional stages, and boasting significant album sales.  It was tough vying for the attention of the listeners. It was just as tough finding solid, affordable, original instrumentals that would truly impact the crowd -- so I started making my own.  Since there were way less producers around than lyricists and vocalists, I wound up banging out beats for everyone else too.  In the process, I found that the role of producer and supporting other artists was actually more fulfilling and complementary to my personality.

What tips would you provide for aspiring artist/producers?
Create for yourself first. Do it for your love of music as an art form. Fuel your passion with knowledge. Take the time to nurture and develop your talent. Practice often and never stop growing. Know your genre and your audience. Make the music you want to make and always have fun doing it. Most importantly, always have a backup plan.

What is your ultimate career goal or next step?
TruMental.com is currently undergoing redevelopment to bring an all new interface and expanded tools and resources. We’ll soon be bringing in multiple producers and bloggers to help with our growth into the mainstream as a household name. We’re working to reach a wider audience and collaborate with more independent vocalists.

As a producer, I plan to continue building relationships within the industry and to expand my capabilities in motivating, coaching, and developing grassroots artists. In the near future, I plan to venture into songwriting for established artists.  I also have these Hollywood dreams of scoring a few films or syncing up some television shows or even video games.  Really, who knows what the future holds.

What has been your biggest obstacle in the music business?
It has been difficult landing my own Sprite commercial. Just kidding.

Honestly, my biggest obstacle has been myself. Feeling like I’m good enough is probably the most difficult aspect to reconcile. You always find yourself comparing your capabilities and outcomes to those who came before you or have seemed to achieve far more. Most of what you see from the top is romanticized versions of what really is, but even knowing that doesn't stop you from chasing that dragon.  Anything is attainable given enough time. Time is your most important ally, but life constantly rips it from your grasp. When I clock into the lab, the creative process immediately pulls me in emotionally; I’m always pushing for my vision of perfection, but time constraints force our art to be imperfect. Igniting a smile from each artist and their listeners is a mountainous challenge I face with each record, but I love every second of it.  Music is my life, and I’m honored to share it.

No comments:

Post a Comment