Sound Interviews: Keya Maeesha, Music Journalist

Wednesday, April 10, 2013


Ms. Keya Maeesha, Maryland raised music journalist, shares how she came from only viewing music to now reviewing music. Plus she gives her top tips on how music artist can get press.

1) What lead you to become a music journalist?

Honestly, I never intended to become one. I just liked going to shows. Yet I think when you see people going to shows all the time, there is an assumption that they are music journalist, especially if there is an apparent passion for live shows. For me it all happened accidentally on purpose. My homegirl Joann Gomez, from Music Looks Like This, and I were having a conversation after I did her taxes -- she asked me if I was a blogger. I told her no and how I wouldn't consider myself the "best" writer. A few months later, she asked me to go to a show with her because she had a plus one. Since I don't turn down free shows, I was like "heckie yea". After she got my name on the list, she tells me the catch which was --I had to do a write up for The Couch Sessions. So after I screamed at her, I did it. Hey...I'm no fool. But the rest of the story pretty much continues to write itself at this point.

2) How long have you been a freelance writer and music reviewer?

I've been freelancing now for three years which is CRAAAAZY! It actually feels like longer.

3) What publications have you worked at?

I currently write for four sites: The Couch Sessions, This Is Real Music, The Next 2 Shine, and LiL SoSo. I've contributed to Soulafrodisiac , Centric TV Online, Society H.A.E, and The House of Jaz.

4) What inspires you?

I'd have to say my love for music and service are my inspirations. Those are the two things that I am most passionate about and continue to find creative ways to merge them together to share with the world. The journey also inspires me, because I know what my end goal is and where I feel my path is leading me. Every success, failure, and next step inspires me to push towards my goal and grab it. 

But more than anything, the support and love that I receive from my family and friends inspires me to continue to do more. I'm not sure if I would be able to do all the things I'm doing and have my hands in so many things If I didn't have them in my corner. When my family surprisingly traveled all the way from Maryland to support me for my show, or when I'm freaking out and I can call one of my friends to scream it out for 10 seconds and they let me, that motivates me. My family and friends are my continuous source of motivation -- inspiration.

5) Can you provide an example of a major challenge you overcame and it ultimately resulted in your professional growth?

I had to overcome myself. Seriously. I had to tell myself that there is a bigger purpose to what I was doing and involved in and use that as motivation. As I said earlier, I never thought of myself as a good writer. I'm a numbers person by trade. The first write up I did for SoulAfrodisiac, which is run by my friend Ann Marie, I was so nervous that my post was late. Every post I did for her was late. Next thing you know, I get a formal email from her telling me that I'd no longer be writing for them because I couldn't get my posts in on time. The truth is that I was nervous and I never expressed it. I never said to her "hey, I'm having a hard time". I just took my time and submitted it when I wanted to. So when she and I actually spoke, and she asked me if things were cool between us, that is actually when I told her how I was so nervous and overwhelmed that I didn't know how to handle it. So, she actually talked me through it. She talked to me about finding my own voice and writing in a manner that would be comfortable for me. She also talked to me about the importance of getting things in by a certain deadline and how I should treat my writing like I do my day work.

So while it was bittersweet, I needed that. If it wasn't for Ann Marie, I'm not sure I would have been able to write like I do today. My posts speak as a music fan first. I write like I talk; I don't try to come up with fancy words or make up filler sentences. I write exactly how I feel and let the editors worry about the grammar later. Luckily for me, the editors dig my style of writing so there isn't that much to change. But that was the hardest thing for me to go through, because I'm also a perfectionist and I hate feeling like my work is unsatisfactory. So it was a big eye opener and I am forever grateful to Ann Marie because of it. She still talks to me like a big sister and serves as a mentor in the music journalism industry for me. I love her so much, she doesn't even know it. 

6) How do you define good music?

Everybody's definition of good music is different. Let us get THAT out of the way. To me, good music is something that I can feel and connect to. Something that moves me or compels me to want to listen to it again, have it on heavy rotation, leave it alone, and go back to it later to fall in love with it all over again. The other thing about good music is that the artist themselves are in love with their own work, which you can tell by what they put out. That actually makes me love it more. 

7) What tips can you provide for artist trying to get their music reviewed or heard by publications?

There are two things that I would tell artists who want their music reviewed: get to know your music reviewers and be consistent.
  • Music reviewers are fans first. If you are out and make yourself known, and not even on some brown-nosing type of thing, it will work for you. Networking is very important in the industry. Much like how bloggers and journalists work to get to know managers, prs, and artists, it also works vice versa. Meet them in person, get their contact info, send follow up emails, just like you do for a regular job; it's all part of networking. Reviewers appreciate it more and they remember you, which is what you want, right? 

  • Consistency is important. The breed of artists that are able to put out a project, disappear for a few years, then come back fresh and new is very rare. No one is saying you have to put out a project every 6 months or year. But keep yourself "relevant", if that makes sense. If you put out a project in the 1st or 2nd quarter, make sure you have a visual by 3rd and some write ups or interviews by 4th. This all goes back to people seeing your face -- it really makes a difference.
Follow Keya @KeyaMaeesha

And make sure to come out to her May 1st event. Hope to see you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment